MDC Summer Adventure Camps FAQs
- When are Marine Discovery Center Summer Adventure camps?
Marine Discovery Center Summer Adventure camps are offered weekly starting June 13th through August 12th. Camp hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. We will be closed Monday, July 4th.
- Where do Marine Discovery Center Summer Adventure camps meet?
Upon arrival on the first day of camp, please check in at the Welcome Center. You will then be directed to the classroom or the lab at MDC, depending on which camp your child is attending.
- How do I register my child for camp?
Review the various camps that we offer by visiting our website (http://www.marinediscoverycenter.org/camps/summer-camps/). Call the front desk (386) 428-4828 or education office (386) 428-3310 to inquire about camp openings. Registration forms can be downloaded off our website, emailed to you or picked up at the welcome center.
- When is my child’s reservation for camp confirmed?
Your reservation is confirmed when full payment and basic contact information is received and processed. Reservations are made on a first come, first serve basis.
- Is there a discount for camps?
– If you register for camp before February 29th, you receive a 5% discount.
– If you have a family membership to Marine Discovery Center, you receive a 5% discount.
– If you are registering for multiple camps, you receive a 5% discount.
- Are there scholarships available for summer adventure camps?
Yes, for more information about our scholarship program please call (386-428-3310) or email Michelle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Are your camp counselors’ background checked?
All of our volunteers 18 years or older are background screened through SSCI. Any volunteers under 18, must provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or employer.
- Is camp staff prepared to handle medications associated with allergies and asthma?
Our camp staff is CPR/First Aid certified and has received training on how to properly care for campers with allergies, asthma, and other health concerns. Please discuss any health concerns with your child’s camp instructor.
- What is the staff to student ratio for camps?
All camps will have two staff members as well as several high school camp counselors. The maximum number of campers varies from 16-24 depending on the camp.
- What should my camper wear/bring to camp?
Campers should wear comfortable clothing, closed toe shoes, and sunscreen. Campers should bring closed toe water shoes, a bathing suit, a towel, a change of clothes, a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses. Campers should also bring a reusable water bottle, healthy snack, and lunch every day.
- What activities will my child be participating in at camp?
All camps will include island exploration, science experiments, marine-related arts and crafts, fishing, shoreline studies in our salt marsh, and Field Day Fun Friday! Other activities vary depending on the camp but may include kayaking, archery, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, surfing, and paddle boarding.
- What is a typical day like at Marine Discovery Center Summer Adventure Camp?
Schedules will vary depending on the camp your child is attending. Below is a sample schedule for our Loggerheads Summer Adventure Camps:
8:30-9:00 Campers arrive/Free Play
9:00-10:30 Outside Activity – This may include fishing, island exploration, shoreline exploration or nature walks.
10:30-10:45 Morning Snack 10:45-12:00 Inside Activity – This may include arts and crafts, science experiments, or educational presentations.
12:00-1:00 Lunch and Outside Free Play
1:00-1:30 Storytime and Craft
1:30-2:00 Educational Activity
2:00-2:30 Educational Game
2:30-3:00 Free Play/Camper pick-up
- When is the photo show for my child’s camp?
The camp photo shows are always on Friday afternoons. Guy Harvey Fishing Camp, Lagoonys, Aquatic Adventures, and Scuba Camp will have their photo show at 2:30 p.m. on Fridays. Loggerheads, Leatherbacks, and Mangrove Maniacs will have their photo show at 3:00 p.m. on Fridays. All of the photo shows will be emailed to the address you provided us with on your registration forms. Please notify your camp instructor if you would like the photo show emailed to a different address.
- What happens when inclement weather is in the area?
Your child’s safety is our first priority. We will seek shelter immediately in the case of inclement weather in our area.
- Who do I contact for more information about MDC Summer Adventure Camps?
Please call the front desk (386) 428-4828 or education office (386) 428-3310 for more information about our summer camps. You can also email the Education Coordinator, Michelle West at email@example.com.